Tuesday 11 October 2011

Week 1 and 2 Catchup

This is going to be a summary blog going over whats been happening with this module and my group thus far.

Originally myself and my brother where in a group in the Technology degree course but changed to the Development program by the next week so our group was finalized on the second week of the module (5th). Me and my brother are still in a group together along with two guys who where in the same scenario as us in that they also where changing from the Technology course to Development. This is more ideal since it means we are all more aware of our previous experience since we have all done the same modules from second year bar one.

In terms of what we discussed last week, one of the guys was absent but it wasn't such a problem since we were just really chatting about some possibilities for our project scope. It didn't take us to long to settle on Unity as our desired platform for making a project. Though the three of us that were present were all similar in that our experience with Unity was very little, we feel that the time available for us is plenty of time to learn the platform to a standard that we can develop a project by the end of the year.

We briefly discussed some game design ideas but since it was such an early stage we decided we would each go and think about a game design that we would like to do for the project. Then come back and discuss each others ideas in week three. We also each agreed at this stage that we should all be working individually on tutorials and looking at documentation for using Unity and start to learn the development kit.

Over the last week I have been reading up on using the Unity platform. Though whilst I have a very general idea as to what kind of game I would like to design, at this point the scale that would be realistic for our group project is still a bit blurred. I personally would like to develop a third person plat-former game at it's core but I'm currently still developing a proper design plan for it. As the weeks go by and my understanding of Unity grows, I will be able to pin point the scale of the design to something realistic for development in the year we have been given for this module.

I'd just like to put that I personally like to play very competitively and even though this is my personal preference for gaming, for this project I'd like to develop something that moved away from that and was more like the games I played growing up (Nintendo and Sega etc...) but also blend it's aesthetics and style with some of my favorite games. In particular Killer7. Hence why I would ideally like to develop a platformer game with a very defined style and setting. Though at this stage I'm still trying to find out if it is something that is realistic for this module. I'm aiming to post up some actual insight into the game design I have in mind on this blog for next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment